THE WINNER


That night I was at the police station when the phone rang. A voice claimed that Angus Frank was dead. I ran to  the murder scene and it was terrible: drawers upside down, glasses on the floor, clothes everywhere and, beside the sofa, there was Angus Frank, lying face down. At that moment Angus' ex-fiancè entered the room with some of Frank's ex-colleagues. I immediately interviewed  the housemaid. On Frank's body I didn't notice spots of blood, or any injuries. A glass grabbed my attention, so I took it to the analysis unit.


My suspicions were confirmed: in the glass there were some traces of poison. I returned to the murder scene where I found a piece of paper with words which read: "He was more clever than me, richer than me, more generous than me, taller than me, more handsome, smarter, more self-confident, he dressed better than me, he spoke better than me; if you think these are excuses, you are silly. I have always thought about how to get rid of him. I made a mistake poisoning him: he suffered too much. I am sorry about it. I would have preferred he had died quickly". After I had interviewed everyone, the biggest suspects were the ex-fiancè and the lawyer. I analysed their coats: the lawyer's was marked with black spots. I asked him about them and he answered they were ink blots from a broken pen. In reality, after the analysis, I discovered they were, in fact, spots of poison. So I placed the lawyer under arrest for having killed the victim. "DDDDDDDDDDRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN!!!!"...Oh...sorry! I have to go..the phone is ringing! (MARICA, IB)


I